There is no doubt that tourists must apply for a visa to enter Iran. It has specific conditions and rules that require the applicant to comply. In this section, Persiana Travel and Tourism Agency will talk about this issue and how to enter Iran. Stay with us.
Types of visa to enter Iran
Iranian visas, like visas of other countries in the world, have different types that are issued to the applicant according to the purpose of the trip. In the following, we will introduce the types of Iran’s visas and give you information about each of them.
Entry visa (type A):
This visa is issued for all types of business trips, research, sports, business, etc. Applicants for this type of visa include embassies, organizations, government companies, private companies and individuals who have valid and reliable invitations for work such as signing contracts, negotiations, investments, formal meetings, attending scientific and cultural seminars, sports competitions, etc. could travel to Iran.
Tourist visa (type B):
It is the most common type of visa in Iran that is requested by tourists for leisure trips to Iran.
Pilgrim visa (Type C):
Iran is a Muslim country and has many places of pilgrimage. Many Muslims around the world travel to the two pilgrimage cities of Mashhad and Qom for pilgrimage only. Pilgrimage visas are issued only to Muslims, and non-Muslims wishing to visit the two cities must apply for a Type B visa.
Family visa (type M):
This type of visa is issued to the spouses and children of Iranian women who are married to foreign nationals. Of course, visas are issued if the marriage is registered in the official and legal offices of Iran.
Medical visa (Type T):
The high quality of medical services, skilled physicians and the low cost of treatment in Iran have led many patients to travel to Iran for medical treatment. These people need a medical visa to enter Iran.
Other types of Iran’s visa
Political visa (type D) and service visa (type S):
This type of visa, as its name implies, is issued to people who enter Iran for political and diplomatic reasons. Applicants for this visa are political representatives, consulates and offices of international organizations residing in Iran, foreign diplomats residing in Iran, holders of political and service passports, ministers, members of government and kings of other countries.
Study permit visa (type E):
This type of visa is issued to pupils, students and scholars who intend to study in one of the prestigious universities and scientific and religious centers of Iran. Student visa holders can stay in Iran for at least 6 months.
Work permit visa (type F):
Work permit visas are issued to people who intend to work in Iran. It does not matter if you are a simple worker or an experienced professional! In any case, in order to work in Iran, you must obtain an Iranian work visa.
Transit visa (Type G):
Transit visas are issued to people who intend to travel to another country and pass-through Iran on the way. Drivers crossing Iranian roads and passengers using Iran Airport as an intermediary airport fall into this category.
Transit visas are short-lived and are usually easy to issue. Drivers who intend to obtain a transit visa must have an international driver’s license and provide valid documents to obtain a visa. This visa is not issued to persons of Israeli nationality.
Press visa (type H):
Iran has provided the conditions for media institutions to enter and has not imposed any restrictions on the reporting of journalists and photographers. Press visas are issued to people who travel to Iran to prepare reports, make films, documentaries, etc. This visa covers all film and reporting staff.
Investment visa (type I):
Iran is one of the best countries in the Middle East for investment. Cheap labor, the availability of technical and industrial infrastructure, the existence of various mines, etc. have made Iran one of the best investment opportunities for foreigners. Individuals want to invest in Iran must apply for a visa Type I.
Types of Iran’s visa in terms of type of issuance
Travelers who intend to obtain an Iranian visa can do so in three ways:
- Attending the Embassy: The first way you can get Iran’s visa is to go to the Iranian embassy. Fill out the visa application form and submit it to the embassy with the required documents and wait for the visa to be received. If your visa documents are complete, it will be sent to you by mail.
- Electronic Visa (EVISA): Electronic visa of Iran is one of the types of Iranian visa issuance that is done online. You do not need to be physically present at the embassy to receive this type of visa, and you can even send your documents electronically. Just go to the relevant website and upload the scanned documents on the site. The visa will be sent to you as a PDF file. Make a printout of your visa and take it with you on the trip then you could enter to Iran.
- Iran Airport Visa: Iran, like other countries, issues airport visas to citizens of 185 foreign countries. This type of visa is issued to the applicant at the airport and is available in PDF or hard copy.
Iran Airport Visa
An airport visa is a type of visa issued to an applicant at the airport of Iran. The purpose of doing this is to speed up the visa process and improve the tourism industry. Receiving this type of visa has its own terms and conditions and is done according to the relations between the two countries and the strategy of the destination country.
This means that only citizens of some countries may be allowed to receive this type of visa. Iran airport visas are allowed for 185 countries and are issued at certain international airports. The list of airports issuing Iranian visas are given below:
Mehrabad Airport of Tehran (THR), Kish International Airport of Kish (KIH), Qeshm International Airport of Qeshm (GSM), Isfahan International Airport of Isfahan (ISF), Shahid Dastgheib International Airport of Shiraz (SYZ), Mashhad Hasheminejad International Airport of Mashhad (MHD), Shahid Madani International Airport of Tabriz (TBZ), Ahwaz International Airport of Ahwaz (AWZ), Bandar Abbas International Airport of Bandar Abbas (BND), Lar International Airport of Lar (LRR), Bushehr International Airport of Bushehr (BUZ). To obtain an airport visa, you must go to the designated counter at the airport and fill out the visa application form. You may have to wait in line for a while. Required documents to obtain Iran’s visa are:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months.
- A 3 * 4 photo.
- Travel insurance: You can get travel insurance from the airport insurance counter.
- Visa issuance fee which is received in cash.
Cost of Iran’s visa
After submitting the documents, after a few hours (about 1 to 4 hours) the visa file will be sent to your email or will be provided to you in print. The cost of obtaining a visa varies for citizens of different countries. The cost of obtaining Iran’s visa is as below:
- New Zealand: 150 euros
- Australia145: Euros
- Chile-Sierra Leone: 120 euros
- UAE – China – Taiwan – Uganda – Chad – Vietnam: 100 Euros
- Serbia: 85 Euros
- South Africa – Ukraine – Brazil – Hong Kong: 80 euros
- Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Bulgaria, Greece, Poland, Hungary, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Portugal, Netherlands, Romania, Denmark, Thailand, Singapore, Oman, France, Finland, Cyprus, Iceland, Slovenia, Estonia Slovakia-Czech Republic-Latvia-Luxembourg-Lithuania-Malta-Norway-Ghana-Qatar-Cuba-Gabon-Guinea: 75 Euros
- Russia – Uzbekistan – Argentina – Zambia – Mongolia – Moldova: 70 euros
- Japan, Turkmenistan, Guyana, Cameroon, Kenya, Kuwait, Tanzania, Madagascar, Malawi, El Salvador: 60 Euros
- Philippines-Panama-Fiji-Nigeria: 55 euros
- South Korea – Croatia – India – Macedonia – Bosnia – Kazakhstan – Paraguay – Senegal: 50 euros
- Indonesia – Tunisia – Zimbabwe – Kyrgyzstan – Mexico – Niger – Venezuela – Palestine: 45 Euros
- Ecuador-Nepal-Yemen-Eritrea: 40 euros
- Tajikistan-Algeria-Bhutan-Morocco-Libya-Egypt-Saudi Arabia: 30 euros
- Armenia-Bahrain-Malaysia: 10 Euros
Visa conditions of Iran
Conditions for obtaining Iranian visas for citizens of different countries vary depending on the type of relationship between the two countries. Iran’s friendly and neighboring countries can often easily obtain their visas. All they have to do is submit their documents completely to be able to obtain a visa. The conditions for obtaining an Iranian visa are different for some countries. Citizens of Bangladesh and Afghanistan cannot apply for visas through travel agencies or airlines. Applicants from these two countries must apply in person at the Iranian Consulate in their country and submit their application.
The conditions for issuing Iranian visas to citizens of South Africa, Yemen, and other countries with weak economy condition are also slightly different and are more stringent.Due to Iran’s diplomatic relations with the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, the citizens of these three countries are also restricted in obtaining visas and have different conditions to enter to Iran. Citizens of these three countries must obtain a visa through travel agencies inside Iran and submit their travel plan from the beginning as well as the exact date and time of departure. Citizens of these three countries should note that they can stay in Iran only until the end of the validity specified in their visa and will not be able to extend their Iranian visa.
Iran’s visa extension
Visas issued to applicants traveling to Iran have a specific validity period that varies depending on the type of visa. Some travelers plan to stay longer in Iran so they have to apply for a visa extension. If you want to spend more time in Iran, you must go to the Foreigners Police Office in your city of residence 1 to 3 days before the expiration date of your visa and apply for an Iranian visa extension. The extension period varies according to the type of visa and the purpose of the applicant, and the cost is about 45 thousand tomans. Documents required to extend an Iranian visa are:
- The original passport with a copy of all pages
- Letter from the Head of the Police Office for Foreign Nationals
- Iran Visa Renewal Application Forms
- 2 pieces of 3 * 4 photos
- Input stamp
- Provide payment slip
In this article, we talked about Iran’s visa, introduced the different types of that and we gave you information about required documents and so on. If you are not familiar with the process of obtaining Iran’s visa or have any question, you can contact Persiana Travel and Tourism Agency to help you in this regard.